Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

More Company and Knitting Class

The snow is melted...amazingly 9 inches of snow melted in one day (give or take a few hours). Lots of birds are showing up - more every day. We can't wait till the hummingbirds come back and start dive-bombing our feeder on the deck.

We have company coming tomorrow (I think) from Minnesota for a few days. Good friends of ours who are bringing Gene's antelope with them. Well, not the whole antelope, just the head. Taxidermy was done by his friend, Dale Selby. We're excited to finally see the thing....Gene shot it here in New Mexico about 3 years ago, near Clayton, and it's been in Minnesota ever since. That animal is actually one of the reasons we now live here...the rancher who Gene met on the hunt told him about LV... Not sure where Gene is going to hang this antelope - maybe over the fireplace with the others.

I started a knitting class on Tuesday - making socks with 2 circular needles, instead of using double-pointed ones. After first having to be 'reminded' of how to cast on stitches, I proceeded to get them too tight to knit so Deb, the teacher, re-cast them for me so I could get started. After learning the technique, and getting a couple of rows done, the class was nearly over and I decided that I'd start all over at home where I can concentrate a bit more. So I should be doing that....all I've done is move the yarn around. They will be red socks... was going to use the self-striping yarn but picked the red instead...it's softer and a bit thicker. If I ever get these done, I'll try the self-striping yarn.  My mom made the best socks in the world and I still have some of them from high-school... yes, they are antiques - plus she made a pair for Gene for Christmas nearly every year. So if I could figure out how to make socks, Gene would get them again. And I might even be able to finish the ones she left unfinished.

It is sunny and warm here today. Gene and Dakota are working on the greenhouse doors and generally getting ready for the big "raising" on Tuesday. I still don't know exactly how this will look but it'll be fun to meet all the people that are coming to help and see this project go up.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Next time we see you, you can teach me how to do the 2-needle thing so I can get over SSS (single sock syndrome). Did you hear that MMS got cancelled? Not enough interest.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Linda. Barb Shillinger here (Home of the Brave, remember? Marilyn Wilson's and Kathy Rock's cousin?) Wow! Your greenhouse looks HUGE!! I'm not sure if there's a picture of my greenhouse on my blog, but there is on my FB page. Mine is puny compared to yours, but I'm glad to have it. I was not able to raise tomatoes in there in the winter; I think I will need a heater before I can do that.
    A friend and I started a weekly knitting group about three months ago; it is such fun. Some are very new to knitting and some are oldtimers, but we all have fun, share patterns, teach each other new methods, etc. We meet at a supermarket that has a mezzanine where folks can eat, and it overlooks our "big river" (Chehlais). We see waterlife, birds, and once even watched a seaplane land--it's a great way to spend a Thursday morning. Kathy and Mont came for a weekend visit, so last Thurs I just stopped by to say hi and then went back to readying the domicile for visitors. It still looked pretty cluttered but at least they could sleep in the guestroom bed. I am fascinated by your new locale--I didn't know it snowed in NM! Tell Levi hi for me; We got a new doxie in Feb, a rescue-that makes 3 doxies and big Daphne who is going on 15. Keep writing--I'm reading!!!

    ReplyDelete