Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Rain Rain Rain

Yippeeeee, it's raining...we have had quite a bit of moisture the last week and every drop is welcomed. Gene has two water barrels installed now by the greenhouse so they are catching water too. This afternoon we have thunder and now, nice softly falling rain.

Last week I started my new job here in Las Vegas....I'm working at the Presbyterian church as an admin to the pastor and general keeper of the keys.  It's part time, M-F, 9-1 and also 2-4 on T&W to help the treasurer. So far it's going fine... there are lots of details to learn and people to meet so I'm sure I'll stay busy. I like the 9 a.m. start as I don't have to get out of bed till 7:30... what a change from the commute in Seattle!

Gene's been busy working on the cement slab for the main water tank to the greenhouse...he even asked me to help finish the cement one day last week.  Now that was fun. NOT! I know why those folks who do that for a living make such good money. It's hard work but overall he said I did a good job.  Seems to me I helped my dad with that when I was growing up...anyway, this week he hopes to have the final bit of plastic installed and the drip irrigation system finalized too. Then he can start planing. Discovered that it's going to be very warm in there so I think he ordered a solar-powered fan to help cool it off. I have lettuce and radishes coming up in my little herb garden in the back...time to plant more.

We moved our Japanese maple outside last week also. It was moved down here in a large pot last summer and spent most of the winter in the great room in dormancy. The leaves starting budding out a week or so ago, so it's now outside and loving the sunshine. We are so glad it survived the trip and the winter.

Levi had a great birthday and we went out to dinner (Gene and I, not Levi) to celebrate. Also celebrating the fact that this year, for the first time ever, we got a refund from Uncle Sam on our taxes. !!!!! What a relief that was.

This week brings new adventures.... stay tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to get a refund?! We got our "first" refund also!! Yippee!!! I guess being retired has a tax advantage for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job! Things are pretty crazy here; Jill and family came late Monday, and Dick's brother arrived this afternoon. The BIG day is Saturday; more relatives coming tomorrow and Friday......

    ReplyDelete