Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Miscellaneous Musings

Hmm...that dog...not sure why he thinks this is his blog but every once in awhile he takes over. But not tonight. He's sacked out on the floor near an open window with nice breezes blowing in on his tummy!! He knows how to live!

It's been busy around here. Gene has finished the greenhouse except for putting water in the tank that will be used for drip irrigation. He and Dakota are nearly done with setting up the truck/tank/pump so they can go and get water and load up the system.  Then to start planting.

All we have growing right now is lettuce and radishes in my herb garden. Our last average frost date is May 15th so we're sort of waiting till them. But he can plant in the greenhouse because it gets toasty warm. Not sure what the soil temp was in there the other day...forgot to check the thermometer, but I'm sure it's warm enough to plant.

Work is going well. Busier than I thought it would be but part of that is me trying to figure out what the heck I'm actually doing. Have managed to publish the May newsletter and post it on the webpage too. See it here. And this week I'll do the Sunday bulletin on my own. Am enjoying meeting people as they come in to the office...tomorrow morning the WAM committee meets at 7 A.M. at Charlie's.... thank heavens for caffeine.  Oh, Charlie's Spic and Span restaurant is an institution here in Las Vegas where lots of folks meet for breakfast meetings and lunch meetings and you see everyone you know. Good food, great tortillas and Starbucks coffee.

Tomorrow I'm also taking my bread class final... only the written part...online...hoping to be able to keep my "A" which shouldn't be too hard since we can use our class notes for the exam. I've learned a lot in the class and am enjoying baking bread again and trying some new recipes.

So, lots of stuff happening...hoping to go to ABQ for a quilt show the weekend of May 21-22 .... etc.

Our wonderful guard dog showed his stuff the other night...the coyotes were really howling up in the hills behind us and Levi started barking at them.  I'm sure they were scared.  He was in full attack mode though...tail straight up and leg planted firmly and ready to protect us.  But it didn't' take too much to get him back inside... he's a hoot!!

And the hummingbirds are back...well, just the boys...girls arrive later. But I put a feeder out and within 20 minutes they were feeding. Not sure where they were hiding till then but it's fun to have those noisy things back. Still windy here but not as bad as the last two weeks...75 today, 78 tomorrow and nice warm breezes. Sunny skies...it's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. And we had SNOW on our R&R break in OR yesterday morning, about 4 inches. We're happily back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His little head and ears crack me up! They are sooo cute! Don't you just want to hug him to pieces?!!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete