Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Miscellaneous Musings on a Hot Day

93 today....but it's a dry heat...ha! that only means you don't sweat (glisten) but it's still dang hot. Nice breeze tonight though. It felt good as I stood out in my garden watering for the second time today.

"Our" forest fire is under control - did smell smoke this morning but that was to be expected. ...this is the latest from the Forest Service:

TECOLOTE FIRE: 792 acres, 50% contained, 488 personnel committed to the fire. Today firefighters will continue to mop up within 100 feet of the fireline, watch for spot fires that may result from interior burning, and rehabilitate dozer lines constructed as contingency lines. All burning operations have been completed and all firelines are holding.

My new favorite quote:"I don’t want to brag or make anybody jealous, but, after 55 years, I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school."

How about these dolls? At the Coke party before my Junior Prom - the Swedish royal family has nothing on us..check out the tiaras!! Wonder how much hair spray we used...and oh, my gosh, gloves!!  That year short dresses were "in"..a year later for our Senior Prom, I think we wore long dresses. At least I know I did. Somewhere I have a picture of our dates and they were cute too....white dinner jackets... it was a great time to be a teenager.... we decorated the gymn with a tropical theme that year (perfect for northern Minnesota) using lots of crepe paper and a wonderful mural with palm trees and such. I must find that picture...

So, enough rambling for the day....if I could embed a musical clip in here it would be "Summer Place", my all-time favorite summer song. Summer Place  - or this one: "Sealed With a Kiss"    and the last one:  "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess by George Gershwin.


2 comments:

  1. Good news about the fire. Sounds like you have your own "fire in the sky" though. Here we've still not hit 75, and our furnace is running. Cute prom photo. I wonder if anyone decorates the gym anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Linda. I love reading your blog, and I'm glad you're happy in NM. A gal from Santa Fe just moved here (Aberdeen, WA) to be near some of her extended family. We had about three weeks of rain then! She's an artist and has some work in our current show. Home of the Brave keeps going, along with carving, quilting, dollmaking, knitting, gardening, etc, etc. Got several buckets of alpaca poop for my compost pile yesterday.

    ReplyDelete