OK - this is really about floppy discs....the computer type....the ones we old folks understood years ago...that now have been replaced by teeny tiny little cards that fit into a teeny tiny little slot on the laptop....if you're lucky. Well, I had a need to read a floppy disc or two this afternoon and of course, there is no slot on my laptop for such an ancient thingy. So I figured I had one around and went searching....no such thingy anywhere. So I took myself (figuratively speaking) to Amazon to search for one. Figured I would just order one or maybe even stop at Radio Shack on my way to choir. I'm beginning to think there is some little gremlin at Amazon who just waits in the corner for me to search and then jumps up and says "Dummy - you already ordered one of those back in 2010!" That's what happened.....and it even showed me the order....sheesh. Big Brother is Watching. But I knew I had one somewhere so I believed the little bugger and went back out to the great room and searched thru all the boxes where computer gadgets hang out....and it was no where around. So I came back to my sewing room and looked thru all the baskets and boxes and such where it might be hiding! nope...nada....nuthing! so I gave up. But lo and behold, the floppy disc gods were kind....I turned my chair around so I could pet Levi and looked at the very top shelf of a rack of fabrics and other important stuff and noticed a brown box sitting there...calling to me..... YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! there is was...still in the box....yes! I had ordered it in 2010 and put it on the shelf so I'd see it easily. Maybe that was in the days before this room got "reorganized" by fabric gremlins. My afternoon was saved. Plugged the little thingy into my laptop, figured out what software to use to read the disc and viola! I now can read the embroidery software that is on floppies! will wonders never cease. Of course, my new problem now is that I don't have enough USB ports on my laptop to run the mouse/dongle/floppy disc thingy.....so it's off to stop at Radio Shack anyway and see it they have a USB hub. But progress has been made. Hmmmmmmmm...maybe I should clean this room and find other hidden treasures!!
Moral of the Story - Don't forget to pet your dogs!!

Wonder when the same thing will be true for CDs? We just read that they are leaving CD players out of new cars. Just another reason not to buy one, eh?
ReplyDelete