First of all: there is supposed to be a lovely picture at the top of this blog of the peony that is blooming in my garden..however, for some reason it's not showing when you read the blog in Internet Explorer - works fine in Firefox. Thanks Microsoft and Google. So I'm posting the picture again at the end of this entry. Maybe the gremlins will come in and fix it.. Computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The real meaning of plant catalog terminology:
"A favorite of birds" means to avoid planting near cars, sidewalks, or clotheslines.
"Grows more beautiful each year" means "Looks like roadkill for the foreseeable future."
"Zone 5 with protection" is a variation on the phrase "Russian roulette."
"May require support" means your daughter's engineering degree will finally pay off.
"Moisture-loving" plants are ideal for landscaping all your bogs and swamps.
"Carefree" refers more to the plant's attitude than to your workload.
"Vigorous" is code for "has a Napoleonic compulsion to take over the world."
"Grandma's Favorite" -- until she discovered free-flowering, disease-resistant hybrids.
So today is Memorial Day - a day off to rest...HA! I decided it was about time to plant more of my garden....what do I have to show for it...broken fingernails (with dirt under them), sunburned face although I was wearing a hat, sore back because I had to pull weeds, and tired eyes because I forgot to put my sunglasses on. But I also have things planted...and fed...and watered. French tarragon, caraway, lemon caraway, lemon verbena, 3 types of basil, rosemary, beans, portulaca, more tomatoes and zinnia seeds. Still have to plant cucumbers (need seeds) and watermelon but did make some progress. Also filled the water barrels by my garden so I don't have to carry water from the house and brought a chair to the garden to sit in. No wonder I'm tired.....and still have room to grow more things.... and the peonies are thriving...and one is blooming. It was a good day....and no bears or bear sightings recently in the neighborhood.



Like the orange flower, what is it? Sounds like you did a whole lot of planting, Linda! Things here are pretty soggy and not growing real fast, except the weeds and moss.....
ReplyDeleteI don't know what the orange flower is...something that looks like a weed but is probably a native plant. I should find out :)
ReplyDeleteThe only thing I can eat from my garden at present is the lettuce growing in a pot on the back porch! I'm going to have my DH build some planter boxes we can mount on the horizontal rails. I'll put herbs in those. It will be so nice to have them right there on the back porch!
ReplyDeleteWe've had about 12 straight days of rain; they say it might stop in four more. I hope so!!! Even native Washingtonians get tired of rainy day following raining day, following rainy day!!! Even the dogs are tired of it!! They like to play in the sun. Barb