It may still be officially spring, but if so, this is a hot spring...no pun intended - we actually do have hot springs here in Las Vegas. It has been in the 90's most of the week - but, of course, it's a dry heat. Yeah, like that makes a difference...no rain...gorgeous sunset tonight since we actually had clouds that came over today and kept the heat down.
Gene is battling the heat in the greenhouse...over 100 in there but he gets up every morning and opens all the doors and tries to keep the temps near the ground at a reasonable level. He's 'fried' a few plants in there but about 85% are surviving. Tomorrow morning he takes Gunga Din into town to get water to fill the drip system.
My little garden is coming along nicely. Had one bloom on one of the 3 peonies and all the plants look good, so hoepfully next spring I'll have more peonies. The tomatoes are doing great (although i lost 4 of the San Marzanos (for paste) to hail). I've finally put herbs in there... and beans. Have 3 bell pepper plants to set out and cuke seeds to sow. Have been watering that garden with a watering can from the two barrels I have nearby. The weeds (aka native plants - HA!) still continue to pop up and I take my Japanese "hari kari" gardening tool and whack away at them. I'll win eventually...
Yesterday i taught my first quilting class. We used the pattern that the choir quilters had used for the Russia hospice quilts in 2007. Had 5 students in the class and even though I stressed out about it for weeks, me thinks it went well. No one attacked me with their rotary cutter so that's a good sign. I now have 7 quilt tops to finish and will donate them all to Project Linus. I'm not sure if teaching quilting is in my future, but this was fun and I'm glad I did it.
Work is going fine...much busier than I thought it would be. And of course, jury duty still hangs over my head every week for 6 months. Last week we did not have to show up and I'm saying my prayers that no bad folks need to have a trial this week either. Hmmm wonder if it's ok to pray for getting out of jd? :)
Enough for tonight...busy week...might go to ABQ next weekend for the Master Gardeners convention... or not..... we'll see what Gene decides to do. I don't look forwad to a trip to ABQ in 90 degree heat even with a/c in my car.
Time for a root beer float. Just came back from the golf course restaurant where we sat outside under the trees on the deck and enjoyed a nice supper.... then to bed.


I'm gonna have to dig out that pattern again...got kinda burned out in 2997 and haven't done much in the way of quilting since then. We escaped to Chelan yesterday in search of sun. What do you know? We found some. It was 84 in Cashmere and 54 today at the pass, coming home! Bleh!
ReplyDelete